I spent Saturday afternoon shopping and when I got home I noticed Brynn was very tired and could barely stay awake. We even took pictures thinking it was cute that she fell asleep while playing. She ended up napping so long that we woke her up. When Gary said she had slept quite a bit during the day too, I was a little concerned. It was unusual for her to sleep that much. When I sat down to play with her, I noticed she was burning up. I took her temp and it was 102.1. (This was underarm so I'm sure it was much higher the "other" way.)
I took off her clothes, put a wet towel on her head and called the on-call pediatrician for advice. (The dosage chart on the Infant Tylenol suggests this for her weight). They said to give her one dropper full and bring her into the ER for evaluation. So we had to bail on plans with Gary's parents and ended up spending the evening in the ER.
We got right in which was nice. It was a little scary but everyone was very nice and efficient. They basically didn't do anything but said her ears and throat looked fine. By the time we were seen the Tylenol had kicked in and she was feeling better and her temp was down. They told us to watch the temp and give Tylenol every four hours as needed. If the fever was still persistent by Sunday we were supposed to come back in to check for a urinary tract infection.
Saturday night was rough. She continued to spike temps all night. By Sunday morning when she was still at 101.9, we decided we should go back in. This time we were in for much longer and they did a cathed urine sample the check for the UTI. Brynn was not impressed with this at all. It was a little traumatizing on us watching her cry and scream too. What an exhausting day! They said her initial "dip" sample looked fine and they would call us by Tuesday if there is an infection to start antibiotics. Haven't heard anything yet. I might have to call and check on it. They said if we get no call then it's negative. I wish the would call one way or the other.
Anyway, by Monday morning she seemed much better and the temp was gone. In fact, Gary had turned the air conditioning so high that when I checked on her during the night she was really cold. I checked her temp and it was down to 96.1. Good thing she didn't still have the temp cause they had explained to us that if babies got too cold with a fever, it would cause them to shiver and would raise the temp even more.
Needless to say, after a stressful sleep deprived weekend, yesterday I was extremely tired at work and ended up with a migraine. Haven't had one of those in so long! Contributing to my tiredness was my middle of the night conversation with Gary Sunday:
I was sleeping soundly Sunday night and Gary startles me awake with:
"So, what's your opinion on that?"
I just look at him blankly.
Gary points at me and says, "Yeah, I'm talking to you. What's your opinion on that?"
I said, "On what?"
Gary: "Just your general opinion."
Dawn: "Knock it off. You're sleeping."
And so he was. And I wasn't anymore.......
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment