Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Nightmares galore!

Gary has had a couple night terrors (talking/acting out in his sleep) lately so I thought I'd share.

Last Wednesday I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. As I left the room (in the dark, mind you) Gary says, "Dawn, there's a little boy behind you. Get him. Catch him!" Nice. He's so good at freaking me out. And he doesn't even know he's doing it!

Then on Thursday night he YELLED, "Oh, WOW!" So, I rolled over and put my hand on his back and said, "Gary, be quiet, you're going to wake Brynn up." He flips over and starts freaking out and slapping at my hand and yelling, "There's something on me! There's something on me! Get it off!" To which I said, "It's me! Shut up!!" (I know, not very nice, but he was yelling!)

Unfortunately I am a little concerned about Brynn following in his footsteps. She is an excellent sleeper (knock on wood) and sleeps through the night 99% of the time but every once in a while she will talk in her sleep or wake up crying. Last week she woke up screaming and when I went into her room she was curled up into a tight little ball. When I picked her up, she wrapped her arms around my neck in a strangle hold and curled her legs up tight under her tummy and kept saying, "puppies" while looking down at the ground like something on the ground was going to jump up and get her. Took a while to calm her down on that one.

The other night she woke up crying for "mommy" so I went in and rocked her back to sleep and layed her back down. 15 minutes later, before I could even fall back to sleep she was crying out for "daddy". I was just about to get up when nothing short of a miracle happened. Gary actually heard her, got up and went in and rocked her in the middle of the night. Yeah, team! I was pretty impressed. (He is usually dead to the world when he is sleeping-so this was no small thing).

And not to be outdone, I have not been sleeping well either and had a nightmare of my own this week. It was my standard worst nightmare. In my dream, I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise in the house. I noticed the hall light was on, and heard another noise, but Gary was sound asleep beside me. I woke him up in a panic and he got up and stumbled down the hallway toward the living room mumbling that there was no one there. As I came down the hall, I looked in the bathroom and saw a guy standing behind the closet door. I froze and tried to scream, "He's in the bathroom!", but my repeated warning only came out in big heavy gasps. I tried to run, but he was right behind me and grabbed me. I woke up trying to scream, but nothing was coming out.

Sheesh. What's up with all the nightmares around here? What's a girl got to do to get some decent sleep?

No comments: