Thursday, September 21, 2006

What Would You Have Done?

Yeah, I know, I know. I just started blogging and I already took a week off. Sorry! I have all sorts of excuses, but I'm sure you don't want to hear them. Anyway, I finally have something to write about and I'm curious to see what YOU would have done.

I decided to take Tuesday off because it was very slow at work. My mom called and we ended up going shopping for, oh, about 7 hours. Is that alot? Yeah, for me it is! I was exhausted. But it was fun. So, let me tell you about a little situation I found myself in and see what you would have done. I know, I keep referring to it. I'm getting there!

We're in the Dollar Store on Tuesday and I'm all alone at the end of an aisle and this guy comes walking up to me and makes some joking comment about whatever it was I was looking at. My first reaction is always to be polite to strangers, so I smiled and made some stupid small talk back to his comment and returned my attention to the shelves. So the guy walks right up to me and let me tell you, he has no concept of personal space. He walked behind me WAY too close, and came up on my right side, blocking me in the aisle.

He starts talking to me about Timothy McVeigh and how he went to school with him and how it makes him so made that kids in school liked Timothy and not him. He was a preachers son and the kids made fun of him and he'd have to run home from school every day. Then he was talking about the Oklahoma City bombing and how Timothy didn't do it and even if he did, "natural" selection is a good thing, cause the world is just too overpopulated and abortion is a good thing and it should be legalized everywhere to get rid of more people. Red flag! Red flag! At this point I'm getting scared. This guy is really creepy. He's got his hand in his coat pocket the entire time. Does he have a knife in there? A gun? What should I do? I'm looking around. There's no one near us. We are all alone in this aisle. Then I see my mom at the other end of the store, WAY at the other end of the store. What should I do? If he's got a knife, I could run. If he's got a gun, I'm in trouble. I know, I probably sound really paranoid, but come on...I read the news every day. Stranger things have happened. This guy was really really strange. He was standing really close to me and talking very intensely.

I kept staring down where my mom was and she eventually looked my way. She gave me this look like, "Who's that weirdo talking to you?" I'm giving her a panicked look, but again, she was really far away. I suppose since I wasn't screaming or running, and she didn't know what creapy guy was talking about, she had no real cause for alarm. I started zoning out and not even listening to what he was saying anymore when he started talking really loud and fast and his sentences didn't even make sense anymore. Something about class reunions and Timothy came to the 5 year, but not his 5 year, a different 5 year. What??? I'm calculating how long the aisle is and how long it would take me to get to a corner and how fast could he pull a gun/catch me? I just kept saying, "Uh huh.", "Yeah?", "Uh huh.", "Oh". He just kept talking. I didn't feel like I could just walk away. He was right there, talking to me face to face. It was the strangest thing.

Then this very nice lady rounded the corner and came down our aisle toward us. I'm pretty sure she was on the other side of the aisle and had heard some of his ramblings and thought I needed rescuing. I don't know. Whoever she was, thank you!! As soon as she started walking toward us, he abruptly stopped chattering and said, "Well, you're a real nice person. I can just tell. And you'll always be a nice person." Then he walked away. And a black cloud lifted. The lady looked at me and I looked at her and she gave me a knowing smile. Why didn't I thank her? What is wrong with me? Maybe cause I had the you know what scared out of me......Either way, we exchanged a little smile and I went scurrying down the aisle to my mommy.

The guy continued to walk around the store and try to talk to people, so I didn't feel quite so singled out, but it was much easier to duck out of the aisle when I saw him coming the second time around. I'm nice, but not that nice. I wasn't going to make a part two out of the whole thing! Anyway, we continued on our day and had no more incedents with creepy people. Thank God! And thank you nice mystery lady!

Now, I know I've been away for a week, but if anyone is still checking/reading this thing, tell me what you would have done?

2 comments:

CarolSue said...

Yikes! Sorry - I meant to comment earlier, but here I am now.

That is CREEPY. Um - I think I probably would have done exactly what you did. Why are we afraid to be rude to people? You were in an uncomfortable situation, but yet didn't want to just walk away - and this guy is a stranger. Maybe for me it would depend on whether or not I had one or both of my kids with me. If so, I probably would have bolted. But if not, I probably would have stayed. Yucky. I'm glad you had some help - and your mommy close by!

Dawn said...

I know. Why do we have to be so polite? I was also a little scared to walk away though cause I didn't know where he was leading with the whole "the world is overpopulated" thing. Would he try to hurt me if I walked away or start yelling at me that I was rude? Plus I hate confrontation and being embarrased in public so I was stuck there. :(