Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Too Young To Date?

So this weekend we were at the hospital visiting our new niece and somehow the conversation turned to dating. I was quite surprised when my 11 year old nephew, Alex, piped in that he had been on a date. I asked him who he went on a date with and he said, "Alicia. We went to a movie." I asked him if anyone else went with them and he said that yes, a group of friends had gone also. Whew, I felt a little better. Holy smokes! 11 years old and on a date? Am I living in the dark ages here or is that a little young? When I asked him if she was his girlfriend he said, "No, not anymore." I asked him if he had a different girlfriend and he said, "Yup, Jenna." Wow! I guess I remember being that age and having a "boyfriend", but certainly no dates were being had. Boyfriend at that age meant passing notes and seeing each other in the hall. Maybe a phone call or two. I guess times are changing. It seems like he was just born yesterday! He can't be 11 and dating!

It's also really strange to me that after years in the Rochester school system, he is enrolled this year in Chatfield. He even has some of the same teachers I had way back when! I thought since he was in the Chatfield school system I'd ask what Jenna's last name was to see if I knew her parents. That would be way too strange. I felt much better that this "relationship" couldn't be too serious when his reply to my inquiry of a last name was, "I dunno." Apparently little details like names aren't important at this stage. :)

No comments: