Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Too Early In The Morning For Such Questions

This morning I got to work and stumbled into the lobby to wait for an elevator. I wanted to go up, but the only option that showed up was going down. Hey, I'm not picky. I'll go down one floor in order to eventually reach my goal of going up. Sometimes, it's just what you have to do.

So, I got on the elevator all by my lonesome, rode down one floor, and I stopped to pick up a little old guy. He smiled and said, "Good morning!" I politely and quietly say, "Good morning". I'm thinking this guy is way too friendly and peppy at 7:25 in the morning.

He smiles again and looks at me and says, "What's so great about sex?"

What?????

I'm thinking maybe I misheard him. Maybe he said, "What's so great about 6?" (as in it's 6 am.) No wait, it's 7:25. I'm confused. I look at him confused. He says again, "What's so great about sex?" This time I am almost positive I heard correctly.

What?????

Is this a bad joke? Cause I don’t get it. Is this a game? Cause I don’t want to play. Am I on candid camera? That's just mean. I just stare at him confused and shrug my shoulders. He looks at me like I'm kind of "slow" (which apparently I am). He raises his eyebrow and points to the number "6" which is lit up for me to go to my floor. He says again, slowly, while pointing to the 6, "What's so great about siiiiiix?"

At this point I am so embarrassed and flabbergasted I just say, "Oh, I don’t know." This all happened on the ride from Subway level to 1st level. The doors opened and people flooded in between us and saved me from any further humiliation.

To my defense, he did have an accent and I was apparently still too sleepy to comprehend the peppy attitude and the offhand question about sex…..or six…..or whatever.

No comments: